What to Do If You Get Sick While Traveling — and How to Stay Healthy Before You Leave

cheryl

cheryl

Administrator
Staff member
What to Do If You Get Sick While Traveling — and How to Stay Healthy Before You Leave - Travel and Leisure

Ordering a very nice bottle of wine at my favorite restaurant was a mistake; I said I wouldn’t drink. my head is heavy in my hands, pounding in pain, but I want to make the most of my trip and pretend that I wouldn’t rather be folded into the down comforter of my hotel bed than out on a Friday night in Austin.

This shouldn’t be happening: I wiped my airplane tray table with a Lysol wipe, Purell-ed my hands before dipping my fingers into the mini bag of pretzels, swallowed a Melatonin before bed the previous night to ward off any jet lag from my trip to Europe the week before. But by the next day, my limbs were sore, my brow sweating and my must-eat-five-meals-a-day travel appetite was totally gone — it’s obvious I’m sick. I have a fever and I am miserable. How did this happen?
Contagious germs are everywhere when you travel, but ignoring the symptoms of impending illness can destroy an entire itinerary. And actually being sick when you’re not at home can be completely miserable. I’m not someone who gets sick often, thus, I was totally unprepared to heal myself as I slumped over a should-be-healing bowl of posole in South Austin, desperate for something to speed up my recovery — it didn’t.