The Ultimate Guide to European Train Travel With a Eurail Pass

cheryl

cheryl

Administrator
Staff member
The Ultimate Guide to European Train Travel With a Eurail Pass - AFAR

Here’s how every type of traveler—not just backpackers—can benefit from this all-in-one train ticket.

If you haven’t thought about buying a Eurail Pass since your backpacking days, you’re not alone. The last time I traveled with one was in 2007 as a college student. After forking over about $500 (from my part-time job as a barista) for the multiuse train ticket, I rode at least a dozen trains from Amsterdam to Paris and on to Madrid over the course of a month that summer. I saved not only money but also time waiting to buy tickets because I could walk on to most trains and have the conductor punch my pass on board.

For beginners to European train travel, the Eurail Pass is a single document that allows non-European citizens to travel by train multiple times across a network of 33 European countries. The travel must occur over a specified period of time, and the pass forgoes the need to buy individual point-to-point tickets. The Eurail Pass, which is celebrating its 61th anniversary this year, can be used for riding local trains, high-speed trains, and even night trains. In addition to the flexibility and time-saving benefits it affords, traveling with one can also save you money, depending on your travel plans.