The U.S. wastes $161B worth of food every year. A.I. is helping us fix that

cheryl

cheryl

Administrator
Staff member
The U.S. wastes $161B worth of food every year. A.I. is helping us fix that - Digital Trends

“[When you see pictures of food waste] it just blows you away,” said Stefan Kalb, a former food wholesaler. “I mean, shopping cart after shopping cart of food waste. What happens with the merchandisers when they walk through the store, and they’re pulling products that have expired, is that they’ll put it in a shopping cart and just roll it to the back. It’s almost one of those dystopian [movie] pictures … cartons of milk just piled up in a grocery cart. The ones that didn’t make it.”

If you’re an everyday consumer, the chances are that you don’t know exactly what Kalb is talking about. When you or I go to the grocery store, we do not have to walk past enormous piles of wasted food to reach the store. There aren’t huge bins at the end of every aisle filled with expired pots of hummus or salad that’s started to wilt. That would be a total downer. Based on what we see, supermarket shelves filled with a greater number of food products than ever, it’s easy to think that there isn’t a problem at all. Except that there very much is.