The surprising importance of a lounge for an independent traveler

cheryl

cheryl

Administrator
Staff member
The surprising importance of a lounge for an independent traveler - Runway Girl Network

Outside the realms of frequent travelers, an airline lounge is of a refined, elegant, upmarket space filled with objets d’art and chaises-longues, where idle upper class layabouts drink cocktails and Champagne while dining on foie gras and caviar.

Sure, some ultra-exclusive first class lounges are like that. But for the most part, your airport lounge has more in common with a hotel breakfast zone in an Ibis or a La Quinta than the Ritz. And these days, they’re for more than just corporate Ryan Bingham stereotypes from Up in the Air.

As someone who is a regular independent business traveler – when not grounded due to a pandemic – I’ve found that I’m increasingly looking to the lounge as part of my work-life and productivity balance when traveling. Talking with friends in similar work positions, I’m not the only one — and airlines could do with some thinking about how to attract and serve this growing group of travelers with their lounges in a post-pandemic world.