The reason carry-on luggage became such a hassle

cheryl

cheryl

Administrator
Staff member
The reason carry-on luggage became such a hassle - Vox

Airlines are adding more overhead space, but it probably won’t make much of a difference.

The state of carrying on your luggage when you fly is dismal. Fellow airline passengers are always antsy to get ahead in line, to board early before the overhead bins fill up. After all, no one wants to be the unlucky person stuck rearranging suitcases to fit their own.

Personally, I prefer checking my bag at the gate (for free!) — a last-minute move that releases me from the stress of searching for overhead space on a crowded flight. Most of my colleagues (and certainly other travelers) feel differently; they’d rather not risk parting with their possessions or spending extra time after arrival waiting for baggage claim.

No matter your preference, it’s clear to anyone who’s ever been on a plane that there’s very little space available. Unless you’re in first class or have early boarding privileges, there’s always the added pressure to beat the crowd. It seems that airlines have finally found the no-brainer solution — adding more space.