The Best Advice After Trying Every Fad Diet? Just Eat.

cheryl

cheryl

Administrator
Staff member
The Best Advice After Trying Every Fad Diet? Just Eat. - Taste Cooking

The $70 billion diet industry suffers many fools, including journalist Barry Estabrook, who found himself approaching the age of 60 with the alarming doctor’s orders that he needed to lose 40 pounds. “I went on the Whole30 for precisely the wrong reason,” he says of the popular diet that eliminates “psychologically unhealthy, hormone-unbalanced, gut-disrupting, inflammatory food groups” (read: no sugar, grains, dairy, alcohol, or most legumes). “I suffered for a month, lost some weight, and promptly gained back every ounce, so I said to myself that there had to be a better way—and realized at about the same time that I should heed my own advice and thoroughly understand what I was eating,” he says.

The result is the deeply reported, page-turning Just Eat: Estabrook’s first-person account of road testing the world’s most popular diets, including paleo, the Master Cleanse, South Beach, WW (formerly Weight Watchers), and the Mediterranean diet. Estabrook is behind deep dives into agriculture practices and policy, including the best-selling Tomatoland, which looked at the human and environmental costs of tomato growing in America.