Solo Travel While In A Relationship Is My Preferred Way To Explore The World

cheryl

cheryl

Administrator
Staff member
Solo Travel While In A Relationship Is My Preferred Way To Explore The World - Elite Daily

For some, being married means having an automatic travel companion. For me, that's not entirely the case. This year marks 15 years of my relationship, which began back when my partner and I were in high school. Even as a young teen I bounced around the world without him, and I came to realize that solo travel while being in a relationship is my preferred way to see the world.

By the time I met my partner, I had already traveled alone several times. My mom said I was an intrepid teenager, ingraining a love of travel in me at a young age so I could pursue the kind of adventures she missed out on by marrying in her early 20s. From backpacking in Canada to living in a remote part of Argentina, traveling became a major part of my identity — so much so that I pursued travel journalism as a career.

Traveling alone is a unique kind of freedom. There’s no hoping a companion will agree with what you want to do, getting disappointed when they don’t, or worst of all, delaying a trip indefinitely until you find someone who's able to and wants to tag along.