Navigating pandemic-era air travel: What it's like to fly internationally right now

cheryl

cheryl

Administrator
Staff member
Navigating pandemic-era air travel: What it's like to fly internationally right now - Chron

As we dragged our luggage across Los Angeles International Airport's cavernous customs processing hall, my 15-year-old son asked, "Are we in the right place?" Customs at LAX is typically overfilled with arrivals. This time, there were banners welcoming us to the United States, but no people. Only a maze of retractable belt barriers greeted us.

My kids and I had been asking the same question all day. We'd just discovered what it's like to fly internationally during the coronavirus lockdown and were about to experience our first domestic flight since the pandemic. It had been a long day. We'd already crossed nine time zones and spent 12 hours flying from Nice, France, to California. And we still had a long way to go.

It was a series of flights that would expose us to the reality of flying during the covid-19 outbreak - a strange new world of deserted terminals, Purell packets parceled out to passengers and social distancing requirements.