Life After Sourdough What are we going to do now?

cheryl

cheryl

Administrator
Staff member
Life After Sourdough What are we going to do now? - Grub Street

Four months ago, right before the city shut down, I made one last in-person trip to the grocery store to buy flour, yeast, and red lentils. Also chili-garlic paste. Also two bags of chocolate chips. By then, I understood, sort of, that things were bad, but I wasn’t ready to become a survivalist about it.

Then I left the yeast on the kitchen table, and the dog ate it. (She is fine.) Then there was no more yeast to buy. “No problem!” I told my boyfriend, hopped up on the adrenaline of no longer having a job. “I’ll just make sourdough!” For three minutes, I felt resourceful and wise, like the kind of person who’d be a real asset on a wagon train. Then I checked Instagram, where the movement was already fermenting.

The best thing about pandemic sourdough is that it’s actually two hobbies: making sourdough and reading trend pieces about how other people are making sourdough. In some way, I’d hoped that my fermenting sludge — the “starter” — would reframe misery as urban homesteading. A pandemic, yes, but what a wholesome one! In between the feedings, I learned to knit. I kept the radio on all day, every day. Outside, there was no noise except the sirens. Inside, my apartment was incongruously cozy.