How a Shadow Army of Ghost Kitchens Took Over America’s Restaurants

cheryl

cheryl

Administrator
Staff member
How a Shadow Army of Ghost Kitchens Took Over America’s Restaurants - Marker

Inside the brave new world of data-driven, search-optimized virtual restaurants that exist only on DoorDash and GrubHub

or a small town of 4,000 people in New York’s Hudson Valley, Highland Falls punches well above its cultural weight. In more normal years, tens of thousands of tourists would descend upon the town to tour the U.S. Military Academy at West Point and nearby Revolutionary War sites. Billy Joel, a onetime resident, wrote a beloved B-side about the place. And late last year, Highland Falls became the chosen host of another national institution: Chipotle’s very first ghost kitchen, a new store model with no in-person ordering and no in-store dining.

On a recent winter afternoon, I trekked an hour north of New York City to see it for myself. From the outset, it was more or less what you’d expect at a Chipotle. Those familiar concrete floors and that minimalist steel-and-plywood design aesthetic, plus pop music overhead and the smell of grilled onions and peppers. One major difference, of course, is that it was eerily devoid of actual customers jamming themselves into small communal tables and lurking near seats that might open up. That this newfangled, online-only Chipotle didn’t even have a bathroom truly drove home the grab-and-go motif a little more forcefully than I would have liked, especially after a long drive. Still, the fact that this store debuted after a quarter in which Chipotle saw its digital sales triple from the previous year clearly demonstrates that something fundamental has changed.