Earth Day 2020: 13 Spectacular Photos of the Planet From the Lens of a Travel Photographer

cheryl

cheryl

Administrator
Staff member
Earth Day 2020: 13 Spectacular Photos of the Planet From the Lens of a Travel Photographer - Newsweek

As we celebrate the 50th anniversary of Earth Day, it occurs to me that as a result of the pandemic, humanity has inadvertently given our battered planet the best present it could bestow: We're leaving it alone.

China's air is the cleanest it's been in decades, and locals in Punjab can see the Himalayas for the first time in years. Yosemite is brimming with wildlife unafraid to walk the roads once bumper to bumper with families.

As a travel photographer, my weeks sequestered from the natural world have given me an even greater appreciation of its value (something I hope is contagious). Grounded in lockdown in my home in New York City, I look back at some of my favorite photos from previous adventures and yearn for wide-open spaces. These destinations (a few of thousands), are full of natural wonders—wonders we'll lose if we don't take better care of our global home.