Why traveling to a ‘blue space’ is the stress reliever you need right now

cheryl

cheryl

Administrator
Staff member
Why traveling to a ‘blue space’ is the stress reliever you need right now - MSN

A few years ago, during a stressful period, I returned to the northeast coast of Scotland, where I grew up. As I worked through my personal crises over a few weeks, I found comfort in watery sites, whether it was fog-draped sea cliffs, deep lochs or little fishing villages. Looking back, I think I sought out those places with an innate sense of their power to heal. And it’s that same sense that has sent me seeking water over the past year.

During the pandemic, many people have discovered the restorative benefits of green spaces. Now, there’s growing evidence that there may be similar benefits from being around water, or “blue spaces.”

From 2016 to 2020, researchers at BlueHealth — an interdisciplinary research project funded by the European Commission’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation program — investigated the links between water-based environments and health and well-being. The team, which includes public health experts, psychologists, epidemiologists and landscape architects, surveyed 18,000 people in 18 (mainly European) countries and collected information about their visits to blue spaces (mostly the coast but also rivers, lakes and even fountains). The self-reported results suggest that being near water can boost mental and physical well-being.