Watermelon Burgers must be seen (and tasted) to be believed

cheryl

cheryl

Administrator
Staff member
Watermelon Burgers must be seen (and tasted) to be believed - The Takeout

Before we begin, I know some antsy readers out there simply can’t wait to lecture me about how watermelons should never be grilled and called burgers. That’s myopic nonsense based on macho barbecue logic. Grilling watermelon is awesome, and I truly feel for the people who are too hung up on keeping each food in its lane to try something new. As watermelon sits directly over an open flame, the most miraculous things happen to its flavor and texture—indescribable things. The first time I tried it I was so astounded that my body filled up with the sort of wondrous glee I feel after seeing a magic trick. Even if you’re too apprehensive to try the recipe below, I urge you to set aside a nice fat slice of watermelon to throw on the grill alongside the burgers at your next barbecue, just to see what happens. If you’re not tickled, well, I send you my condolences.

I fully expect this recipe to be met with skepticism. In fact, a lot of you might express surprise at how good watermelon burgers turn out to be. Why are you so surprised, anyway? I want you to eat this because I want to eat this, and once you try it, you’ll want to tell everyone you know to make it too. Then you’ll be the person no one believes, and later you’ll get to experience the satisfaction of hearing those people admit you were right all along. If that isn’t a fantastic reason to try out a new recipe, I don’t know what is.