Veganuary recipes: Meera Sodha's weekly meal plan - part 1

cheryl

cheryl

Administrator
Staff member
Veganuary recipes: Meera Sodha's weekly meal plan - part 1 - The Guardian

The Guardian’s vegan columnist has plant-based tips for breakfast, lunch and dinner, plus snacks to stop you falling off the ‘vagon’

hen I first started my vegan column, I gave myself a month before I’d have to hand in my notice. As an omnivore (admittedly one that ate little meat but a lot of dairy and eggs), I just couldn’t imagine writing recipes week after week with such a strict set of rules, let alone enjoy eating plant-based food on a regular basis. But then, something wonderful happened.

Taking meat, fish, dairy or eggs out of cooking became a catalyst for creativity, forcing me, and many other chefs and food writers, to think in new and interesting ways about how to extract the most flavour and pleasure from the same old characters in the vegetable drawer.

I discovered that the Asian larder, replete with its fermented and pickled ingredients such as kimchi and miso, could add flavour to meals in an instant. I reacquainted myself with the thrill of pulses and turning dry beans into nourishing meals, and I realised that cakes can be just as rich and fluffy and velvety without dairy and eggs.