Traveling with kids? Here's when to arrive at the airport for domestic, international flights

cheryl

cheryl

Administrator
Staff member

Traveling with kids? Here's when to arrive at the airport for domestic, international flights - USA Today

“How early should I get to the airport?” Over the years, I’ve found there are essentially two camps when it comes to this question: those who live for the adrenaline rush of making a run for it through the terminal and those who make a point of arriving comfortably early.

But how early you should arrive at the airport isn’t that cut and dried. A lot of factors come into play, like the time of year, when your flight departs, if you’re checking a bag, if you’re flying domestic or international and if you’re flying with kids.

Here’s everything you need to know about how early to get to the airport so your family vacation doesn’t run into turbulence before you even leave the terminal:

How early should I get to the airport for a domestic flight?​

Domestic flights generally allow more wiggle room for arrival times, since there’s less paperwork and you may be flying out of a smaller airport. But the general rule for domestic flights is to arrive one to two hours ahead of time, especially when traveling with kids.