Traveler Story: 'The Army Helped Me Appreciate What The World Has To Offer'

cheryl

cheryl

Administrator
Staff member
Traveler Story: 'The Army Helped Me Appreciate What The World Has To Offer' - MSN

Before joining the Army, Shenicquia Fulton’s travel experience was limited; barely extending beyond driving two hours to the beach. Born into humble beginnings in South Carolina, she moved to Virginia when she was an adolescent, and considers the DMV home. She enlisted in 2007, and it changed her life forever.

“I’m still on active duty,” Shenicquia told Travel Noire. “I initially started out as an enlisted soldier, and after six years, I decided to pursue my Bachelor degree and begin the process of becoming an officer. I did Army ROTC at Charleston Southern University/The Citadel Military Academy, and was commissioned as a Second Lieutenant in 2016. I’m now a Captain and Company Commander, which is still unbelievable to me since I started out as a private with no rank.”

Shenicquia’s travel journey started domestically. She spent long weekends with friends in Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Miami and New York City. Shortly after her first deployment to Iraq, she went on a cruise with her mother which included stops in Mexico, Honduras, the Cayman Islands and Belize. While on the ship, Shenicquia determined that she would see as much of the world as she could, and the Army has been instrumental in that goal.