The healthy way to eat out

cheryl

cheryl

Administrator
Staff member
The healthy way to eat out - Sidney Daily News

Dear Readers: One day last week, I found myself busy during the lunch hour and didn’t stop to eat until around 2 p.m. I went to a fast-food restaurant, ordered a small sandwich, medium fries, and a diet soda. It wasn’t until later that I realized the moderate-size meal I had consumed contained nearly 800 calories! Holy mackerel! The fries were delicious, but was it worth it?

By now, you’ve noticed certain restaurants have added calorie counts to their menu items. Although some restaurants began early, as of May 7, 2018, the FDA required calories to be listed on the menus and menu boards of restaurants that are part of a chain of 20 or more locations. The reasoning behind this is so that consumers can make informed choices.

It is estimated that Americans eat one-third of their meals away from home. While fast food is a convenient and relatively inexpensive option, the calories add up quickly. Instead of getting more for our dollar, we get more around the waistline. Increased calories lead to weight gain, and obesity is one of the leading contributors to diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, stroke, and possibly some types of cancer.