The Greek Island That Makes You Feel Like a Chic Traveler

cheryl

cheryl

Administrator
Staff member
The Greek Island That Makes You Feel Like a Chic Traveler - MSN

So, I took the advice of a Greek friend and opted for an island that had everything I wanted—charm, natural beauty, great food, and just enough difficulty to weed out mass tourism.

The island of Sifnos.

Sifnos has no airport, so it’s by boat that you’ll get to this mid-sized Cycladic island. The port of entry is Kamares, a lovely harbor with a long stretch of beach and a mountain rising behind it. It’s made up of delightful white buildings with blue shutters, a number of which you can sit at and order a frappe coffee, the Greek-style iced coffee that was trending on Tik Tok early in the pandemic because it’s made with instant coffee. (I’m more of a double espresso guy so I was a little skeptical, especially because of the sugar, but I loved it, especially after the three-hour ferry from Santorini.)

You arrive at Kamares, the port village, where you will be greeted with sight of the lovely harbor. A car on this little island is a must, and there are many rental services at the port to make it easy. Generally speaking, I know nothing about cars, but I would advise getting a car with good clearance off the road. The Honda Civic we rented was clearly not the best choice (it was the only automatic car they had available). There are a lot of rough little roads to get to different beaches and pretty spots on the island. In addition to knowing next to nothing about cars, I also have a terrible sense of direction, but everything is about 25 minutes from the port and navigating the island is straightforward.