'Self-isolation is bringing out the worst in some. How do we avoid conflict?'

cheryl

cheryl

Administrator
Staff member
'Self-isolation is bringing out the worst in some. How do we avoid conflict?' - Guardian

Things are tough right now, writes advice columnist Eleanor Gordon-Smith, but we must try to keep contempt at bay

These days of self-isolation are bringing out the worst in some people. With very little warning that can go off like a bomb. I fear that as these weeks of lockdown drag on, this sort of surprise misbehaving and mistreatment of others will only get worse. Not only by those loved ones who we are in quarantine with, but neighbours, colleagues and other acquaintances that we happen to cross paths with through email, Zoom, etc. How do we avoid conflict with people at this time?

The first thing dozens of spouses did when they got out of isolation in Wuhan was file for divorce. Children moved out of parental homes and swore not to speak to family again. I think a lot of us are afraid that isolation might cause this kind of collapse in our closest relationships. Not through fights or conscious decisions, but through the “everything and nothing” cataclysms that wait for us when we just handle each day a little badly and let the days add up.

You don’t need me to tell you that things are tough right now. The problem is that while “things are tough right now” is usually a reason to go a little easy and ask a little less of each other, this “right now” might be several months long.