Oahu on the cheap? Put these travel hacks to use for a surprisingly affordable island getaway

cheryl

cheryl

Administrator
Staff member
Oahu on the cheap? Put these travel hacks to use for a surprisingly affordable island getaway - Seattle Times

Need a sunny escape but don't want to break the bank? If you're willing to get creative, Oahu can be a wallet-friendly destination with plenty of beach-walking, good eating and handy public transit.

Hugh waved at the sights as we drove along the highway.

“That’s Maili Beach all along here. Oh! See that guy by the road? He’s cooking kalbi barbecue — buy lunch from somebody like him. Oh! Tamura market — they have the BEST poke! Going to watch surfing on the North Shore? Great food trucks there! Visit Haleiwa — pronounced ‘HAH-lay-EE-ba’ — yeah, just like that, that’s good!”

A bell rang. Hugh slowed to a stop and a woman sitting behind me got out.

“See you!” said Hugh, and we pulled back on the road. I was lucky that day to have boarded Hugh’s bus and was getting a guided tour of the west side of Oahu.

Faced with the long Seattle winter, I needed a warm, sunny getaway ― cheap. I’d heard the bus system on Oahu is so good you can forgo a rental car, and I figured I’d find some good prices on Airbnb. Here are best practices without breaking the bank.