Midlife crisis? It’s a myth. Why life gets better after 50

cheryl

cheryl

Administrator
Staff member
Midlife crisis? It’s a myth. Why life gets better after 50 - The Guardian

We don’t peak in middle age, say the experts. So forget about the stereotypes and embrace change

Beware midlife! You will be prone to sudden, disruptive upheaval. Around the age of 50 your productivity, creativity and adaptability begin their inexorable decline. With them, happiness ebbs. Your best years are behind you. Naturally, your job, marriage and shattered aspirations are to blame. If you or someone important in your life shows symptoms of midlife restlessness, be alarmed! The dashboard is flashing red.

Everything in the paragraph you just read is inaccurate. True, midlife is a tricky and vulnerable time. But most of what people think they know about midlife crisis – beginning with the notion that it is a crisis – is based on harmful myths and outdated stereotypes. The truth is more interesting, and much more encouraging.

P

Puck

Registered
I'd have to agree. I know a lot of people in their 50's and 60's and they're some of the happiest beings on planet earth. Retired, semi-retired, traveling, time to do what they want. Not bad if you ask me.