Making smoked Salmon

Tony

Tony

First, after purchasing your salmon you are going to brine it. The brining solution will consist of kosher salt, garlic and thyme. You can go with just salt if you want, but the garlic and thyme add flavor. You should use 2 ounces of salt for every quart of water. I usually use 4 ounces in 2 quarts of water and brine for 2 hours, making sure to mix the salt into the water until it dissolves. Place the salmon in the refrigerator until the 2 hours is up.

full

full

After brining make sure to rinse the salmon off and pat dry. You can put it back in the refrigerator until you are ready to use it or go right to the smoker.

For the purposes of smoking we are using a small smoker called a Cobb.

full

I have been using the Cobb to smoke salmon for about 10 years and it does a great job. You will use 5 charcoal briquets and whatever choice you like to get your coals going. After the coals are gray, about 20-30 minutes, you will add a foil packet with small wood chips. I use both apple and cherry wood chips and the flavor is fantastic. Once the wood chips have been on for a minute or so you can put on your salmon.

full

full

The salmon will smoke for about 30 minutes. Enjoy.

full

cheryl

cheryl

Administrator
Staff member
LOVE this salmon. It's way better than over salty commercial smoked salmon. Makes a great dinner and then subsequent breakfasts for a couple of days with some roasted tomatoes, cottage cheese, and avocado. Delicious and healthy :)