Mainer recalls tale of life-threatening canoe trip and gives thanks

cheryl

cheryl

Administrator
Staff member
Mainer recalls tale of life-threatening canoe trip and gives thanks - Bangor Daily News

As a native Mainer who has always loved a good adventure, I have a unique ability to sometimes bite off more than I can chew. It’s driven by a deep yearning to experience freedom, independence, self-reliance, meeting a challenge head-on, perhaps it’s mostly the need to prove myself to myself, to feel truly alive. Can you relate?

During the spring of 2020 I embarked on a trip consisting of a 34-mile canoe loop in Western Maine called the Moose River Bow. The trip is rated as moderately difficult and generally expected to take the average paddler three days and two nights to complete. The intent of this reconnaissance effort was to become familiar with the route so that I could take a group of interested like-minded adventure-seeking friends from church on a memorable trip. In leading trips like this in the past, I’ve learned that having a first-hand knowledge of the terrain can be invaluable.

I had invited a few highly capable friends to do the reconnaissance trip with me, but for various reasons they all bailed out at the last minute. Suffering from an acute case of stubborn-itis, I opted to carry on with my plans alone.