Living Happily In Retirement Through Minimalism: Sell Your Stuff And Travel The World

cheryl

cheryl

Administrator
Staff member
Living Happily In Retirement Through Minimalism: Sell Your Stuff And Travel The World - Forbes

In 2011, I took early retirement, sold everything I owned and began traveling the world. Up until then, my life had been on a relatively standard western, or American, track. I was living well, comfortably indeed, but I felt like I was living an off the shelf, predesigned life and not doing the things that were meant for me.

Before I retired, even though my schedule was dictated by limited vacation days, I was able to discover that I was happiest when I was traveling, having new experiences, interacting with other people and expanding my comfort zones. However, because I didn't have the time, I often found myself fruitlessly trying to bridge the gap between what I longed to do and what I was actually doing, with material things. I didn't feel that I had much control or choice in my life, so I used consumption to fill the void.