Is Astaxanthin the Next Big Trend? Here’s What You Need to Know

cheryl

cheryl

Administrator
Staff member
Is Astaxanthin the Next Big Trend? Here’s What You Need to Know - Clean Eating

Wondering what in the world astaxanthin is? Poised to become a huge food and nutrition trend, this lesser-known nutrient is going to start appearing everywhere. And if you’re already confused by the pronunciation of the word, trust me when I say I feel you! Science sometimes uses complicated words to explain simple things – like, in this case, a dark pink antioxidant that you need in your diet.

If you can get on board with this simple definition, then let’s dive in and explore what you need to know about this next big trend… oh, and it’s pronounced a-stuh-zan-thn!

What is astaxanthin?

If you’ve ever had salmon or a piece of seafood from the crustacean family (think shrimp, lobster and crab), then you’ve actually had astaxanthin before. Look at you, such a trendsetter!

Astaxanthin is the pink carotenoid that gives those particular seafood species their dark pink hue. It’s a potent antioxidant that’s shown promise in multiple areas of health and wellness, from beauty and athletic performance to healthy aging and immune support. Astaxanthin actually isn’t inherent in seafood directly, but it is present in the diet of fish and crustaceans thanks to the zooplankton and krill they eat.