I challenged myself to eat healthy on $4 a day

cheryl

cheryl

Administrator
Staff member
I challenged myself to eat healthy on $4 a day - Well and Good

There are so many different kinds of health disparities in this country, many of which break along sharp socioeconomic lines. And one of the most obvious—and potentially devastating—is access to nutritious food.

On the one hand, you’ve got people stocking up on tasty (but pricey) artisanal nut milks and splurging on $20 smoothies. Then there are people who have to work really damn hard to simply fill their bellies with nourishing foods—like the 45-plus million people who rely on SNAP, or food stamps, as they used to be known.

In 2015, Gwyneth Paltrow made waves for doing what she dubbed the “$29 Food Stamp Challenge,” an idea originated by the Food Bank For New York City that invited people to eat on only about $4 a day, or what they call a food stamp budget. Though Paltrow took some heat for her privilege (and there have been some questions about whether that number actually represents a typical SNAP budget) the experiment definitely helped draw attention to a pressing public health question: Is it really possible to eat healthy on a super limited budget?

P

Puck

Registered
You're really going to have to get creative to stretch that $4 to cover your needs. How about planting your own garden?

Time to plant some seeds. :giggle: