Help! I Think I'm a Bad Tipper. What Are the Rules for Ubers and Coffee Shops?

cheryl

cheryl

Administrator
Staff member
Help! I Think I'm a Bad Tipper. What Are the Rules for Ubers and Coffee Shops? - Money

I don’t believe in the concept of guilty pleasures — people shouldn’t feel ashamed of anything they enjoy — but if I did, one of my guiltiest would be taking Ubers.

Not the brand Uber, specifically; I use that as an umbrella term for all the ride-hailing apps targeted at city dwellers like me. No matter the service, I take cars a lot: when I’m tired, when it’s cold, when I’m upset, when my destination is far away, when I’ve had a few too many rum and Cokes… you get the idea.

It’s a luxury, but I love it. Unlike taking the subway, getting driven around makes me feel posh and put-together. I can make calls in transit. I don’t have to walk. Best of all, I can Snapchat the skyline as I zoom across the Brooklyn Bridge.

However, as frequently as I live the black car lifestyle, I’m still unclear on what to do about tipping. Of course I’ll leave a couple of dollars if a driver has to wait on me or backtrack across Miami because I left my purse at a bacon-themed brunch spot (yes, this happened), but I’m clueless about the protocol otherwise.