Healthy Weight, Healthy Mind: Tips from a Couple Who Successfully Lost Weight Together

cheryl

cheryl

Administrator
Staff member
Healthy Weight, Healthy Mind: Tips from a Couple Who Successfully Lost Weight Together - Saturday Evening Post

A couple who has struggled with weight, alcohol, and family issues offers their tips for how to find success at maintaining weight loss.

Donny and Paula: The Successful Couple

“They don’t seem like they’ve been married 42 years,” I said to myself as Donny and Paula told me about their weight management journey. They communicated so well; when they recalled things differently they didn’t argue; one of them would just say, “You might be right about that.” As they mentioned the rough times, such as Donny’s past battles with alcohol, it seemed Paula had truly forgiven him and Donny appeared to forgive himself. I found their relationship refreshing—the way a marriage should be, like good friends.

After they began dating Donny and Paula found out they worked at the same place at the same time and lived in the same apartment as children—at different times, of course. Maybe something supernatural connected them after Paula inherited Donny’s old room!

The first time Donny brought Paula home to meet his parents, his mother pulled him aside and told him Paula was overweight—very overweight, as if she thought Donny couldn’t see for himself. Paula and Donny both came from alcoholic homes. Donny and his brother ran around the neighborhood unsupervised and had a free-for-all with food.