Food and Nutrition ‘I’m a Cardiologist, and This Is What I Eat Every Day for Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner’

cheryl

cheryl

Administrator
Staff member
Food and Nutrition ‘I’m a Cardiologist, and This Is What I Eat Every Day for Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner’ - Well and Good

f there’s one person who has heart health in mind when they eat, it’s a cardiologist. After all, cardiologists see the effects of food on our hearts—day in and day out.

“Nutrition is the foundation upon which our health is built,” says Kerrilynn Hennessey, MD, a cardiologist at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center in Lebanon, New Hampshire. “It’s an important determinant of our risk for heart attack and stroke as well as living longer.”

For optimal heart health, Dr. Hennessey says her goal is to maintain normal blood pressure, cholesterol, blood glucose levels, and body weight—which is why she follows a mostly plant-based diet. A diet that’s rich in fresh plant foods can help lower your sodium intake to less than about two grams daily, which has been shown to reduce blood pressure. Plant foods also help optimize your cholesterol levels to reduce your risk of heart disease, she adds.