Family travels 888 miles through Michigan, Indiana

cheryl

cheryl

Administrator
Staff member
Family travels 888 miles through Michigan, Indiana - Limaohio

We live in an area so rich in history. Many times we drive through, or simply visit different areas in our immediate region, never realizing how many interesting things have happened here.

Recently we were able to travel north on I-75 toward Detroit with two of our granddaughters, Linden and Annie, with an ultimate goal of Frankenmuth, Michigan. Shortly after crossing the State border, we saw brown signs indicating a National Park. The River Raisin National Battlefield historic site is just across the border in Monroe, Michigan. My husband and I had not driven north in awhile, so this was a happy surprise. We soon found the exit we needed to explore this park.

The River Raisin National Battlefield commemorates the astounding defeat of American forces at Frenchtown during the War of 1812 by the British and their American Indian allies. This horrific defeat forced the Americans to rethink their strategy, and turned the tide of the war with naval victories on Lake Erie involving then Admiral Perry in 1813. (He would eventually become Commodore Perry).