Beyond The Grind: Find Meaning In Travel — Abroad Or In Your Backyard

cheryl

cheryl

Administrator
Staff member
Beyond The Grind: Find Meaning In Travel — Abroad Or In Your Backyard - NPR

You can't open a magazine this summer without seeing stories about swarms of tourists crowding once-serene locales. During an age when everything is relentlessly mediated on social media, NPR's Life Kit wanted to step back for a moment and ask: What is traveling away from home really for? How can it be more meaningful?

In a long-ranging conversation, artist Jenny Odell, author of How to Do Nothing, reminds us why we wander — for perspective and surprise — and how the travel mindset can be practiced without leaving home at all. We talked with Odell for Life Kit's episode on meaningful travel; here's the full conversation, edited for clarity.

Why should we get away?

I think that it's important to get away, to whatever degree you're able to, just to get perspective and to be surprised. I guess those are two different things, but I think they're related. If you live with a pretty solid schedule or routine, there are certain things that you start to take for granted. Simply removing yourself from those circumstances is helpful for getting new perspective on yourself and your life.