4 Tips to Surviving the Post-Vacation Blues, According to a Professional Traveler

cheryl

cheryl

Administrator
Staff member
4 Tips to Surviving the Post-Vacation Blues, According to a Professional Traveler - Conde Nast Traveler

The beauty of travel is that it can serve a wealth of different purposes. It can be a much-needed opportunity to disconnect, an exhilarating way to get out of your comfort zone, or a catalyst to discovering new parts of yourself. But between the pre-departure planning and a jam-packed itinerary—even if that’s just lounging on the beach all day—upending your everyday routine can make returning home an adjustment all its own. For someone who’s constantly on the go like Charleston-based freelance lifestyle photographer Laura Saur, developing a pre- and post-trip routine is paramount to getting back on track once the journey du jour is coming to an end. The ultimate goal? Get into vacation mode after a vacation—a simple trick to making your homecoming as sweet as can be.

“The main reason I started my freelance photography business two years ago was that I wanted the flexibility to be able to travel and work from anywhere,” she says. “I think two weeks of paid time off when working on a salary is tough when I really just wanted to add some adventure and experiences to my life.” Once Saur set off on her own career path, her quality of life improved dramatically. The Rhode Island native was able to plan more trips on her own schedule, including going solo on her first trip around Europe. And that’s what sparked the formation of her travel bucket list filled with destinations ‘round the world. “I love to capture the warmth of life everywhere I go. Last year, I would have loved to go to Tokyo solo, though that was put on pause,” she says. “But this entire summer, so far, I still haven’t really stayed in one place. It’s been fun, but can also be hectic, so taking a vacation after my vacation is necessary.” After two months of non-stop traveling, for work and pleasure, she’ll finally be able to enjoy a solid set of weeks settling back into the comforts of home.